Skip to main content

Flyering High.



I ordered the posters and flyers for my Brighton show today. It’s official: it’s happening.


Flyer front (proof)

Flyer back (proof)

Poster (proof)
They were designed - rather splendidly - by my comedy wife, Glyn. He did a great job. They make the show look like a real thing. Now, there’s just the small matter of finishing writing it.

The great thing is that most of the admin is now done. The press releases have been sent and the artwork is winging its way to the venue. I can now switch my attention fully to the material. I did a dry run of what I intend to do at Thursday's Mostly Comedy, which sat together nicely, and ran at about thirty-five minutes. This is more than enough for that environment. It’s also without an audience reaction, which will double the length. A mass boo can stretch a show’s duration immensely.

I plan to squeeze a few extra bits into Saturday’s Work in (Hope of) Progress date, which should take the running time up to about forty minutes. I then have just shy of a fortnight to finish up some other ideas, and polish the whole, so it feels less like a set and more like a show. I’d be delighted if the Brighton performances ran at fifty minutes, but would be happy with forty-five. I then have a couple of months to consider what I want to add or subtract before I take it to the Camden Fringe in August.

I imagine it will change by then. That’s okay. I see it as an organic process. It’s also an experiment to see what I can do. The main thing is to enjoy it. If I do, then others should as well. If not, I’ll threaten them with my improvised mace.

Popular posts from this blog

Not The Bayeux One.

The Carole King album Tapestry has been my 'getting-ready-in-the-morning' soundtrack for the past few weeks.  It's been a favourite album ever since I was a student, which makes for a pleasantly gentle way to usher in the start of a day. I've always been a fan of a well-crafted song, which is something of a Carole King hallmark, ever since she started writing with her first husband in the early Sixties. Tapestry may be an unimaginative choice for a favourite LP, as it suggests I haven't delved that far into her career, but it's still an undoubted classic; anything with '(You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman', 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?' and 'You've Got A Friend' on it can't really fail; if nothing else, it proves she likes writing songs with long titles.  Next month, she's set to perform the album live in its entirety for the first time at a gig in Hyde Park, which I would have loved to have gone to, if it weren...

Hitchin is Mine.

As of six o’clock tonight, I take over the Hitchin is Yours Twitter account for a week; a stewardship I’m anxious to get right. I’m proud of my hometown. It’s a great place to live, with so much going for it. I've always sold it to my non-Hitchinite friends; so much so, that a lot have gone on to move here. Any town expansion plans are partly my fault. Feel free to picket outside my house. I love its history and architecture. Take St Mary’s Church, for example. The building is beautiful inside and out, and huge for a town of our size. There has been a place of worship on site since the 7 th Century. Much of the present building dates from the 1300s. You wouldn't get that in America. (Don't forget the British Schools Museum too.)  Hitchin is a hive for creative people and a hub for the arts. It boast two theatres, two comedy clubs, a couple of art galleries, a festival for world music and a thriving music scene. This drew...

'Turn off your mind, relax and float downstream..."

While I’ve been practising meditation for quite some time now, I’ve recently taken to using the mindfulness app 'Headspace' . If you’ve never meditated before, or you’re an old hand at it, it’s a great resource, offering daily ten-minute guided meditations that create a sense of progress, rather than stagnating and going through the same process every day. Until I started using the app, I’d often listen to a handful of audio guided meditations I have on my phone in case of a brain emergency. If you see me with my eyes closed and my earphones in on public transport, I’m probably doing this (unless I’m sleeping and using this blog as an elaborate alibi). While the tracks on my phone are great, they can get a little repetitive as I become too familiar with them and start to anticipate everything the person on the recording will say. This is where Headspace is great, as it offers you a daily course with a different focus each day, as well as pl...