Timbre Land.

It's a measure of my constant overthinking that I'm worried I sounded too upbeat when on the phone to the funeral directors' today; from the tone and colour in my voice, he probably thinks I'm having the time of my life.

"You haven't heard back from the vicar yet? Brilliant!"

Like The Monkees, I was just trying to be friendly. I also happened to be on the bus, talking handsfree, so it was hard to judge how loud I needed to be to not sound weird. Having said that, however much I tried to not appear unhinged, I ended up pitching my replies like a T.I.E. performer speaking to a reception class; I may as well have been leading a conga line for all the enthusiasm I put into it.

That's why any form of human interaction is to be strictly avoided, particularly if it's over the phone. It's also why I'll mentally prepare when I'm standing a cue waiting my turn; I'll mull over the various subtle variations on the theme that might come up, so I feel a step ahead, and God forbid that the conversation goes down a route I'm not expecting.  Is this normal behaviour? Actually, it's best not to answer.

Popular posts from this blog

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.