Skip to main content

Site Unseen.


I’ve spent much of the evening editing copy and content for our newly revamped Mostly Comedy website, adding photos from many of the past eight and a half years’ worth of shows as I do it.

While there’s a fair amount still to be uploaded and changed, the lion’s share of the work has already been done by Mostly’s long-term cohort James Hingley - doorman at many of our early shows - who orchestrated its massive redesign. It’s testament to how good a job he’s done that large chunks don't need to be touched; a very unusual thing for someone as pernickety as me to say. We're hugely grateful for the amount of thought he’s put into it, and the fact he even did it in the first place, particularly as he laid down a lot of the initial work before even mentioning he was doing it. It’s lovely that he cared enough about the club to help without even being asked.

It will be great to have a site that will eventually do justice to how the club's grown beyond our wildest expectations in the past eight years. Finally we’ll be able to make a virtue of all the brilliant photos taken at the shows by our in-house photographer (and my in-house wife) since the club began. Adding these will take time, but when it’s done, anyone who came will be able to relive so many memorable evenings by flicking through the photographic evidence; this may not excite anyone else, but it excites me.

The only downside to the site going live tonight is I find myself editing it now, when I should be in bed. I hate anything that’s incomplete, even when it doesn’t matter; I’m pernickety, like I said.

Popular posts from this blog

Not The Bayeux One.

The Carole King album Tapestry has been my 'getting-ready-in-the-morning' soundtrack for the past few weeks.  It's been a favourite album ever since I was a student, which makes for a pleasantly gentle way to usher in the start of a day. I've always been a fan of a well-crafted song, which is something of a Carole King hallmark, ever since she started writing with her first husband in the early Sixties. Tapestry may be an unimaginative choice for a favourite LP, as it suggests I haven't delved that far into her career, but it's still an undoubted classic; anything with '(You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman', 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?' and 'You've Got A Friend' on it can't really fail; if nothing else, it proves she likes writing songs with long titles.  Next month, she's set to perform the album live in its entirety for the first time at a gig in Hyde Park, which I would have loved to have gone to, if it weren...

Hitchin is Mine.

As of six o’clock tonight, I take over the Hitchin is Yours Twitter account for a week; a stewardship I’m anxious to get right. I’m proud of my hometown. It’s a great place to live, with so much going for it. I've always sold it to my non-Hitchinite friends; so much so, that a lot have gone on to move here. Any town expansion plans are partly my fault. Feel free to picket outside my house. I love its history and architecture. Take St Mary’s Church, for example. The building is beautiful inside and out, and huge for a town of our size. There has been a place of worship on site since the 7 th Century. Much of the present building dates from the 1300s. You wouldn't get that in America. (Don't forget the British Schools Museum too.)  Hitchin is a hive for creative people and a hub for the arts. It boast two theatres, two comedy clubs, a couple of art galleries, a festival for world music and a thriving music scene. This drew...

'Turn off your mind, relax and float downstream..."

While I’ve been practising meditation for quite some time now, I’ve recently taken to using the mindfulness app 'Headspace' . If you’ve never meditated before, or you’re an old hand at it, it’s a great resource, offering daily ten-minute guided meditations that create a sense of progress, rather than stagnating and going through the same process every day. Until I started using the app, I’d often listen to a handful of audio guided meditations I have on my phone in case of a brain emergency. If you see me with my eyes closed and my earphones in on public transport, I’m probably doing this (unless I’m sleeping and using this blog as an elaborate alibi). While the tracks on my phone are great, they can get a little repetitive as I become too familiar with them and start to anticipate everything the person on the recording will say. This is where Headspace is great, as it offers you a daily course with a different focus each day, as well as pl...