"Play it Again, Dave."


Whenever I put together a show, the music I choose to use - both in and around it - has always been very important to me.

The songs I settle on are never there by accident, as they’re an essential way of contributing to the feel of the show as a whole. Admittedly, I’ll often go for something by The Beatles or Paul McCartney as their music is something I’m very passionate about, but invariably I’ll pick something obscure I suspect the wider public won’t be aware of, but I think they'll like.

'Hey Bulldog' is a perfect case in point. The song was only cut by The Beatles as something to do while shooting a video for the single ‘Lady Madonna’ in the studio, and was if anything a bit of a toss-off, but despite this it has long been a personal favourite; consequently, it’s been the play-out at every single Mostly Comedy that’s ever been. It doesn’t matter how many times I hear the song in that context, it still has the same impact. I love the dark edge to it and like a lot of the late Beatles material, it sounds astonishingly modern, like it could have been recorded yesterday; never mind the fact it celebrated its fiftieth birthday just the other week.

Not so long ago, a guy who’s been to a lot of our shows said, "You always play this song at the end; when are you going to change your house music?"
This was astonishing to me: the fact it’s there is no accident.

Other songs to crop up in recent solo and Doggett & Ephgrave projects include Macca’s ‘Check My Machine’ and ‘Coming Up’ and The Who’s ‘Baba O’Riley’. One particular track that's part of our current interval Mostly Comedy house music that always catches my ear as it starts is the next-to-unknown McCartney ‘Memory Almost Full’ bonus track ‘222’; I’m bound to end up using it in something.

“But what about this year’s show?” I hear no-one ask. It’s still early days, but I think I may close it with this:

(It’s another McCartney song, inevitably, but barely anyone knows it. I didn’t know it myself until very recently. All the more reason to use it, I think.)

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.