Keep on Running.


Today was one of those few instances where I managed to get everything done I’d set out to do, despite a few flies in the proverbial ointment that could have slowed me down along the way.

The most important thing in my itinerary was running my extended work-in-progress set for tomorrow’s Mostly Comedy and ostensibly for my two dates in Brighton on Thursday and Friday too. I’d originally intended to bulk out the set in Brighton by taking my acoustic guitar and slipping in a couple of the songs that may make it into my show for Edinburgh, but if today’s run without them was anything to go by, that shouldn’t be necessary, as the running time came in at about forty-five minutes, which is more than enough for a Free Fringe show that should run slightly longer with laughs anyway (and at least two of the standing ovations I’ve grown to expect) while also accounting for a possible late start / finish and giving a little headroom for a quick get-out.

I ran each bit of material independently at first to remind myself of it and polish it a little before attempting a full run. I’m not expecting it to be completely plain-sailing tomorrow, but it’s already starting to stick in my head better and sits together reasonably well. I’m still sure I’m going to make extensive changes before Edinburgh to take into account my slight change in tact from the other day and my intention to make more use of the concept in the title ('David Ephgrave: My Part in His Downfall') but either way, this week’s gigs will be a useful exercise in trying out some new material while hopefully giving my confidence a much-needed boost after a difficult start to the year. I’m not expecting a particularly easy ride at tomorrow’s Mostly, what with the backfooting of being the act next-to-no-one will have booked for - Bobby Davro’s clearly the pull by a long chalk with quite a different demographic - and The Sun’s usual less-than-ideal space for holding a crowd’s attention, but that’s okay as I know what I personally want to get out of it; it’s a dry-run for Brighton ultimately if nothing else.

Today I also had to organise a change of date and venue for one of our forthcoming Mostly Comedy line-ups (I won’t let which one slip yet as ticketholders have yet to be informed, though I think we've managed to dodge the bullet as much as possible and protect the gig) while also potentially opening the door to increasing the capacity ever so slightly so we can fit in a few more people who missed out first time around. There was other stuff I did too, but I forget what now, partly as I’m being distracted by the fact my tumble dryer has just finished, plus I should really get to bed; at least then I’ll be as prepared as I can be for tomorrow’s fun, games and new material-sharing.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.